Extra Virgin Olive Oil â€“ The Perfect Gym Partner
When preparing for a workout we all remember to wear the correct clothing, fill up our water bottle and even check our playlist is up to date â€“ but are we doing enough to prepare our body?Â Â
What you eat before and after a workout is as important as the activity itself â€“ some foods can prepare your body for physical strain, while others help restore the body after strenuous activity.Â Â
During intense workouts our bodyâ€™s antioxidant cell systems can sometimes fall out of balance. The consequence is that we reach high oxidative stress levels which can damage cells and lead to dizziness.
The vitamin E in extra virgin olive oil contributes to the protection of cell constituents from oxidative damage. So include extra virgin olive oil in your diet, particularly before visiting the gym, to give your body an extra boost.
It is no wonder Mediterranean diets are so healthy - they use extra virgin olive oil as their main source of natural fat and a key ingredient in baking, roasting and dressings.Â Adding a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil over ingredients such as meat, fish and vegetables not only adds flavour but also gives your meal the final nutritious touch.
Make the most of your perfect gym partner by:
- Adding extra virgin olive oil to balsamic vinegar or lemon juice for a basic vinaigrette dressing and drizzle over salad when ready to eat.
- Replacing butter with extra virgin olive oil where possible
- If you go to a sandwich bar for your lunch, ask them to drizzle extra virgin olive oil over your bread rather than the traditional spread.
- Barbecues are brought to life when the food is marinated beforehand and the key ingredient for a delicious marinade is extra virgin olive oil
- Lightly drizzling extra virgin olive oil over vegetables before grilling
- Dipping fresh, crispy bread into extra virgin olive oil is becoming more popular in restaurants but why not do this at home too and replace your usual spread with olive oil? Crushed peppercorns and sea salt really enhance the taste too.